Friday, January 9, 2009

BCS edition, 2.0

Alt. title: "Stupid is as stupid does." Last year about this time, I posted on another site, which may or may not still exist, re the stupidity of the BCS system. No re-hash here. But I did want to make an observation, not necessarily Highpocrisy-related, into my truer passion than politics: sports. Driving home from work and listening to the pre-game on radio, I thought maybe Fla. wins 31-21, but then that might be too high-scoring, so more like 24-10. I can be that prescient, because I am that knowledgeable about the sports I follow. I tried to watch some of the game last night betw. Okla and Fla., and I told my older daughter that Fla. was going to win. She asked how I could be so sure when it was only the 1st half. Here's how:

Okla. had to know they were not going to score their 50+ pts. average against that defense. Stoops had to know too, that he'd been pulling an 0-fer on recent BCS games. So what happens? Exhibit A: 1st and goal with this year's Heisman winner at QB, and they run 3 times to no effect. Instead of taking the points in a gimme FG, they try a 4th straight run. TO on downs. Exhibit B: 10 seconds left in the 1st half; another chance for gimme 3 pts., but this time, a passing play that gets deflected for an INT. Game over by halftime.

From the ol' Ghostbusters movie: 'when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!' When you have a chance to get 6 pts via 2 cheap field goals against the best D you've seen all year, you TAKE THE POINTS! QBs and defense win football games. Ya know what else wins? Scoring more than the other team. Okla. deserved to lose. That's the message I could convey with utter confidence. And since there is usually plenty of Highpocrisy in the sports world, we need to stay on top of it whenever possible. So, we will.

As an aside, I hope Bradford stays in school another year. Then my Lions can draft the OL from 'bama with the #1 pick; then KC takes Stafford, and so on. World order restored.

No comments: